We all have many decisions to make during this life of ours. Obviously, some decisions appear to be more important than others. In the words of a former colleague, 90% of the choices we make are not as important as they may appear. He then challenged me to identify the remaining 10% that were and give those my preferred attention. The choices that we have assume varying levels of importance simply based on our own priorities.
And as I thought further, it did seem to make sense. It is remarkably easy to get caught in the day-to-day rigors of work life without even realizing when we lose sight of the really important—and of course apparently insignificant—things.
I’ll ask you a question, and make it easier by giving you the choices. Do you want to be good, or do you want to be excellent? Silly question right? Maybe…but your instinctive answer itself is not. If you chose the second option—which am sure you did—you immediately chose a way of life; you immediately added a gem to the 10% that matters.
Getting excellent involves time, effort, an open mind, and above all an intrinsic desire to be that way. Resources—or their lack—don’t matter; what matters is your drive to make the most of what is available. Adopt that mindset, and suddenly constraints look like exciting challenges to overcome.
Let’s talk of simpler things – those that matter immediately to us. At our own levels, we operate against constraints and competition in pursuit of our objectives. Clichéd as it may sound, the organization is indeed nothing but a collective set of its people. Obviously then, the excellence that “we” can achieve depends directly on “you”. And being excellent is not a distant, long-term goal; instead, it starts right here, right now. What you want to be a few years down the line begins today, and is shaped by each and every activity of yours.
So, next time you work with some client data, ask yourself – is there a way to make this simpler? Or, the next time you write a research report, ask yourself – do I wish to inform the reader, or do I go a step further and excite the reader?
the post was originally published as part of Karvy Global’s monthly employee newsletter, which is a platform used by the management team to communicate the organization’s core values and instill a culture of excellence.